top of page
Green Card through Consular Processing
גרין קארד לבני משפחה מחוץ לארה"ב

Green Card through Consular Processing

We help individuals interested in immigrating to the United States obtain Green Cards through qualifying family members. To be eligible to apply for an Immigrant Visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by an immediate relative who is at least 21 years of age and is either a U.S. citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (a green card holder).

The Process of Applying for a Green Card through Consular Processing 


The Green Card Application comprises two parts, the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, filed by the sponsoring relative, and  the DS-260 Immigrant Visa Electronic Application (Green Card application), filed by a foreign national applicant.The DS-260 Immigrant Visa Electronic Application can only be filed after the approval the I-130 Petition. 


After USCIS approves the I-130 Petition, it transfers the case to the Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) for pre-processing. NVC will send you a Welcome Letter by email or physical mail. Once you receive your NVC Welcome Letter , you will be able to pay the Immigrant Visa Application Processing fee, and  the Affidavit of Support fee. After which, you can complete the DS-260 Immigrant Visa Electronic Application.

Information and Documents 

The DS-260 application includes information about the applicant, family,  address, and  employment history. You will also need to collect the required civil documents, including birth certificates, proof of nationality (such as a copy of your passport), marriage certificates, and a police certificate. You will also need to submit an I-864 Affidavit of Support, filled by the petitioner and supported with the required financial documents.

The Interview at the U.S. Consulate and Admission to the United States

The last step toward your immigrant visa will be an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A consular officer will interview you (and accompanying family member beneficiaries) and will determine whether or not you are eligible to receive an Immigrant Visa.

If your visa is approved, the consulate will return your passport with the visa, and after paying the visa fee, you will be able to travel to the U.S. When entering to the U.S. at the port of entry, you will enter as a Lawful Permanent Resident and will be permitted to work and live in the United States. Your Green Card will be mailed to you. 

If you would like to learn more about this topic, please contact our office.

bottom of page